Monday, January 19, 2009

¿Pero que dices, tio?

BY: AURORA

(The title must be read in a very thick Spanish accent or else it will not have the same effect)

On Wednesday January 14th I left a cozy, warm flat in Paris, and came to Madrid. I had to ride a bus to the Paris Beauvais Airport, and then wait about 3 hours to board the plane. This airport is the tiniest thing. Only 5 gates and all in the same room. Nobody knew what to speak to one another. People would ask ´´español?´´ ´´english?´´´or any of the other pertinent languages before engaging in deeper communication. The flight was a breeze. I sat next to a Chinese man-boy who lives in Southern France and is currently touring all of Europe. Of course I had to tell him that I know how to say ´hair´in Chinese. He didn´t seem to care much- I think my charm was simply lost in translation.

On my arrival, I was regretted by my hostess, Hermi, and her boyfriend, Victor. They are probably the cutest couple I´ve ever encountered. I can´t really do them justice; they are people you have to meet.

It is true that Spanish is my first language, but I wasn´t prepared for SPANISH Spanish. My confusion was made evident when noting that the Spanish version of Wheel of Fortune´s clues were even more of an enigma, and when I had no idea what I was being offered by a restaurant´s menu. I ordered the salad- clear in all languages.

I´ve become more used to the weird expressions used here, and my hosts have also begun to understand my ultra-Mexican lexicon.

I´ll relate what I have learned:
something is ´´mola´´ really cool
something is ´´ güay´´ also really cool (not gay)
someone is ´´maja´´ also really cool

Cojer does not mean the same thing that is does in Latin America. Funny misunderstandings. I thought that I was going to be violated if I went to the Metro.

For some reason, everyone is referred to as a tio or tia (uncle or aunt); instead of saying guy or girl.

And I don´t know if it´s my Hermi and Victor´s way of speaking or a general Spanish condition, but people speak in exaggerated terms here. A familiar expression is ´´ Que fuerte!´´ which means ´´How strong!´´ It´s used here after most sentences. Other expressions of extreme anguished used commonly ¨A la!´´ and ´´JJJJJOOOOO!´´

Example:
-A la, mira que esta lloviendo! Oh, look it´s raining.
- JJJJoooo, tio, pero que fuerte! Oh man, that´s too strong!

And Hermi seems to always think that impossible things seem to always be happening because her most common expression is ´´Oye, pero no me lo puedo creer.´´ or ´´Listen, I can´t even believe it.´´She uses it when we can´t find a parking spot, when she finds 3€ shoes and handbag in El Rastro, an awesome, open-air mega market that happens every Sunday.

I love these expressions as well as I love Madrid in general. I´ve been exploring the center of the city on my own for a couple of days now since my hosts both work (they are music teachers). When I am done cruising the old boulevards, like the Gran Via, and eating in parks (El Retiro = beauty) and plazas (Plaza Mayor is unreal) because I´m too cheap to eat in restaurants, I come back to their apartment and talk about Beyoncé, Madrid´s Big Brother (it´s a huge deal) and how stupid it is, or the Real Madrid (soccer is no joke here).

On a later post I´ll talk about more serious topics, like Barack Obama (he´s on the news 24-7), and what I´ve found Spanish people think about the US and it´s way of life-- well at least what my hosts and their family think.

Hasta luego!

5 comments:

Apolline said...

wow - I didn't think there were so many differences. Are you going to stop making fun of my spain spanish accent now? thhh'sc (my version of that lisp-like sound).
keep having fun and keeping us POSTed - get it? yay puns!!

Macy said...

Lovin' the language talk, especially since I pseudo-understand some of it. Just when I thought I didn't care to know more Spanish, you've rejuvenated me!

I'm so excited to see/hear if there are such differences between Costa Rican and Mexican Spanish!

When do you head to Barcelona?

Unknown said...

And yay to you being in Spain!

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaahhahahahahahaha...coger...sounds like americans with "embarasado".

Unknown said...

wow.

love it. now you understand what I have had to put up with living with a girl obsessed with Spain and only speaking in the most ultra-Spanish of accents.

we need to get back to our roots, gurl...hit up the G-town again.

=P