Friday, February 6, 2009

Raindrops keep falling on my head

BY: KAITLIN

Here's a fact for you, gleaned from all of three days in my new digs in Queensland, Australia. In the rainforest, it rains...a whole heck of a lot. And since I've arrived here, I've been met with an onslaught of it.

One thing I've never realized is how many different varieties of rain there are. There is the slight misting, which you don't notice until your shirt settles uncomfortably across your shoulders. There's the blinding rain, which is so heavy and oppressive you can barely see through the wall of it. And then there's the pitter-pattering rain, like an old friend--constant and familiar as you fall asleep.

The field station I'm studying at is nestled in the heart of the rainforest, and I'm not just saying that. We are smack dab in the middle of it, and that also means dealing with all kinds of creatures.

If ever I was squeamish about bugs or rodents, if ever I proved other than dauntless in the face of a spider, never again!

Three days have passed and already I've been bitten by four leeches, dealt with a centipede the size of a banana, and chased away three-inch spiders. Seriously...this whole place is teeming with all kinds of animals. I wake up to the sound of birds that sound like car alarms or like children screaming, and even in this short span of time, it's no longer starting to faze me.

One thing that did stop me in my tracks happened last night. Heading back on the forest path, with my little flashlight, I saw something move in the corner of my eye. I thought it was the comically bold brush turkey that hangs around the outdoor dining area, and I stopped to take a closer look.

Let me tell you, it wasn't my friend the brush turkey. Staring back at me, with the beady, shiny eyes of an unscared animal, was a bandicoot. In other words, a rodent-like creature bigger than most house cats. Yech!

But so far, I'm really liking it here. I'm getting tougher than I ever thought I could be, and I love that. If you had told me a week ago that I would unflinchingly be able to pull off a leech from my leg and crush it with the bottom of my shoe, I would have laughed in your face. And then laughed some more.

In my next post, I'll talk a little bit more about the program and about those crazy Aussies. (They really do love their short-shorts, I'll tell you that much.)

Until next time, have a g'day, mates!

All my love,
Kaitlin

P.S. I'll try uploading pictures from the rainforest as often as I may. Wireless in the rainforest is pretty difficult, as you can imagine, so I've only uploaded two from Australia so far. Here's the Web address for my Flickr account: http://flickr.com/kaitlinkyi

9 comments:

Apolline said...

remember when we had that jumping spider bug in our room and I was standing on the desk while you threw books at it...
Kait, you are now officially my hero for future bug/rodent scares.
miss you and can't wait for more pictures (the roadkill one is a mixture of gross and somehow pretty)

Chris said...

Kaitlin! The photos are amazing! I hope everything keeps going well down under.

Anonymous said...

the picture of you in my head right now is really really funny. just don't get eaten by a snake and i think you'll do just fine :)

p.s. the photos in your album are beautiful

Macy said...

Kaitlin,

Remember when we used to freak out about the cute little mice in our old Wharton room - no mas, apparently!

I'm so impressed and can't wait to see more pics. You're going to be such a bad-ass when you get back. Do you own a pith helmet yet??

So good to hear from you!

Neena said...

amazing! can't wait for the pictahs.

Love,

T.B-kova (she says hi...not really, but I'm sure she would if I wasn't so afraid to ask)

Neena

Anonymous said...

Your photos are very beautiful, but I wish there were more pictures of you. You are beautiful too.
Your description of rain and bugs made me smile. I'm so proud of you. Can't wait for future updates on your adventures!

Aurora said...

AWESOME. i cant wait until i dont have to shooo the spiders from your room anymore.

i could read your descriptions all day: you english major you:

sorry for the weird punctuation; i dont know how to use these keyboards:

Caitlin Adams said...

Your pictures are amazing! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures... I'm planning to finish (read: start) my own application this weekend.

Kaitlin Kyi said...

Caitlin! You're going to love it here. It's a little daunting at first, but nothing more terrible than a Phoenix deadline. :)

Macy! A pith helmet? Not yet. But my rain jacket and rain pants are my uniform!

To all the rest of you Yanks (that's some more Aussie speak for you), I miss you like crazy!