Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Senegal, wat up?

BY: AURORA

SPAIN:

I took a 7.5 hour bus ride from Madrid to Barcelona on January 23rd. It was beautiful; I didn't know that Spain had such amazing terrain. But since it was an 8:30am ride, I quickly passed out, and didn't enjoy the scenery that much. I did make friends with a Swede who was also traveling to Barcelona. I suggested some good Latin music for her, and she told me of some "cool" Swedish bands, but she's into some crazy heavy metal I think, so I won't be checking that out anytime soon.

I thought I had prepared my trip well, by going onto GoogleMaps and searching the nearest metro to my hostel, Grafitti Hostel, but as things would have it, google lied. So I was lost in the middle of Barcelona; all the signs were in Catalan and I had a heavy duffle bag. Luckily, I went into a CyberCafe and got directions there. I hated Barcelona at that moment.

My hostel was as ratty a place as they come, but the staff was amazing. A beautiful Brazilian(?) man with dreadlocks graced the information desk at most hours, so that made up for the unfortunate bathroom (no joke). I did meet two very Italian twins there- they seriously use the expression "Mamma Mia!" I didn't know they're names until the last day, when we exchanged emails, so I just grunted at them most of the time. They were really too nice to me, since I persisted on butchering their language. They knew little English, and could understand some Spanish. But we hung out most of the time, and cooked together, which forever because one was always waiting for the other to do or finish something. I don't think they got the twin thing down very well. They also had a guy friend there, who always wanted to go to "A club... gaaaay," but didn't want us to go with him. We did go to a club together; I had my share of house music... for a lifetime.

Dylan and I explored the city, and went to a sweet club once (we failed at going to places most of the time too- my fault I believe). I recommend going to La Boqueria, and Park Guell. Much fun was had with Dylan's Barcelona friends; they're a crazy bunch and get eyed a lot by the locals. I believe Dylan needs to add more about our adventures.

I flew back into Paris for a couple of days. I had a great departing dinner with some Swat ladies and then had to take a 1am bus ride into the airport because I had a 6am flight. It was one of the worst flights ever- everyone smelled really bad, and I was really uncomfortable and hot, but the arrival was great because the pilot showed us all of the coast with a magnificent U turn.

SENEGAL:

It's been about a week that I've been here, and I love this place. The program is amazing and truly relaxed. Orientation was like camp, so Apolline says, we did a lot of scavenger huntesque things in the city and the surrounding area. Dakar is busy and sandy, and the people are friendly; at first they seem like they are too friendly, but really they are interested in the new toubabs (white people).

The dos- and don'ts of Senegal:

Don't look your elders in the eye.
Don't wear skirts that show your knees.
Don't be offended if women touch your breasts.
Don't call babies cute; it's bad luck.
Don't assume pedestrians come before cars.

Do watch a lot of TV. Mostly Mexican soap operas dubbed into Senegalese French. Super funny "Mais qu'est-ce que tu fais, Vicente?"
Do use as much Wolof as you can. They love it.
Do not buy street food.
Do shake everyones hand.
Do lock your door; they have a key for friggin' everything.
Do buy your own toilet paper; the Senegalese don't use it.

My Family:

I live with my 70 year old mom and dad, mid 20s sister, 21 year old niece, mid 20s cousin, 2 brothers, one's wife, and three of their kids. Plus 2 maids live with us, and we have a chauffeur that's mostly always there. My family is middle class, so they can afford bonnes (maids), and I have an amazing terrace. But most homes have bonnes, so I don't live in the lap of luxury here. My French is getting better, but I feel incompetent sometimes because my family can't understand me. My Wolof is atrocious, but everyone feigns glee when I try to speak it, but mostly they laugh at me.

Eating is a big deal. They feed me tons of food (Il faut bien manger!); and since I'm the only vegetarian they're ever met, they feed me lots of vegetables, which is good because most of the other kids are getting greasy rice and fish 24-7.

SIT:

My program is the chillest thing in the world. I do have to go to class everyday at 8:30am, but I'm usually really pumped to be there, and don't want to leave when classes are over. After my 8:30 class, which lasts until 10am, we have a 30 minute break. We lounge around in the courtyard, lay on the grass and talk, then are called back in. We have a 2 hour class, and then a 2.5 hour break for lunch. We do the same thing during this break, plus eating. After that we have another 1.5 hour class, which usually involves listening to music, dancing and singing. It's a harsh life.

The staff here is the funniest mixture of people. Senegal is big on kidding around and making fun of one another, so that's how we constantly interact. And the other students are also excited to be here, so it's a good atmosphere to be around. We're also comfortable with each other because we have to discuss diarrhea and our hygiene everyday.

The only thing I can complain about is the flipping cars. They love getting in my way and almost running me over every morning. Aside from that, I love most everything, but as everyone here tends to remind me, we're just in the honeymoon period.

I'm getting a pretty great tan, and I'm not even trying, and tomorrow we're of to the beach. Now that my internet is working, I'm sure to be posting a lot more, since I have so much leisure time.

I can smell the jealousy.

2 comments:

Kaitlin Kyi said...

I AM jealous! Of everything except the no toilet paper and the women touching breasts thing. You know.

I miss you tons, and your post only reminds me how much!

Apolline said...

well, sorry the jealousy's probably coming from me. damn! i want a tan! but that's so not happening here.

loved the description of your smelly flight + your dos and donts - have random people been feeling you up Aro? Are you sure this is normal?

ps: include a some wolof vocab (like a miny dictionary) in your next post please!